This is one of my favorite recipes and is absolutely delicious. "This does NOT taste like healthy food" (direct quote from my boyfriend). It really doesn't. It is decadent and extremely filling. You will feel like you're cheating. You are not. It is fabulous
Ingredients for Sauce (makes 5.5 cups)
1 cup=162 calories 4.5g fat, 11g carbs, and 17g protein!
1 lbs Isernio's Hot Chicken Sausage (I worship this stuff)
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 small yellow onion
1/2 cup chopped mixed bell peppers (I use frozen)
1/2 tbsp butter
Oregano, garlic powder, red chili flakes, black pepper, and salt to taste
Directions for Squash:
1. Cut spaghetti squash in half (please, please, please be careful!) and scrape out seeds.
2. Place on baking sheet covered in tin foil
3. Rub down squash with a little oil and your preferred spices (I tend to go light and use garlic salt, black pepper, and a little chili powder)
4. Bake at 375 degrees for 45-60 minutes or till flesh easily forks away into "spaghetti"
5. Save to be reheated and used in any dish!
Directions for Quick Bolognese:
1. Heat butter, diced onion, and diced peppers in a skillet over medium heat.
2. Once onions become translucent, add chicken sausage till cooked through.
3. Add tomatoes and tomato paste and let simmer on low.
4. Add spices to taste and remove from heat when too hungry to wait any longer for "flavors to develop". It's so good you really won't care after about 5 minutes.
At most, making the sauce from scratch and throwing 1.5 cups of it on top of 2 cups reheated spaghetti squash (85 calories) took at most 20 minutes. My dinner was 326 calories and it was a giant, hot plate of spicy Italian cooking. Be still my little heart. Hope you all enjoy!